Many UK prisons have their own specific rules so it is strongly recommended that you should contact the prison concerned and ask for their rules and regulations for inmates receiving books.
As a general rule you should follow this set of rules to maximize the chance that your friend or family member will receive the book you send.
General Rules When Shipping Books to UK Prisons
- Books have to be new. Used books will be returned.
- Books have to be shipped from a major UK bookstore such as Amazon UK. Books sent by an individual or a small bookstore will be returned.
- Books should not contain no nudity.
- Books should not contain any inflammatory material such as gang related. racist and books promoting violence
- Hardcover books will often be returned so paperbacks are highly recommended.
- The books have to be sent by official post only. Books delivered by private delivery will often be returned
- Books should be addressed to the inmate showing their Inmate Number clearly
- Ship only one parcel per month and only up to 1o books per shipment.
Whilst these rules are fairly consistent around the country and apply for most jails, prisons and correctional facilities we still recommend that you view the page for the particular facility in question to see if anybody else has left tips on shipping books to inmates there.View Prisons In Wales View Prisons In Scotland View Prisons In England How to Force Amazon to Ship by USPS